Saturday, July 30, 2016

MTC First Week - April 29, 2016 and Second Week - May 4, 2016, Mother's Day - May 8, 2016

Brazil, São Paulo West Mission
São Paulo, Brazil


--
Friday, April 29, 2016

It was a nice surprise to receive an email from Tylor. His MTC preparation day is Wednesday, when he has 30 minutes of computer time for emailing. Preparation Day for missionaries is their one day off during the week where they complete their shopping, laundry, and emailing families and friends. Getting an email on a day other than their preparation day is completely unexpected and loved!

--
Elder Houghtaling's Email
Friday, April 29, 2016
Subject: Mother's Day Phone Call

I've been told that Mother's Day (May 8th) we will be able to talk for 30 minutes beginning 2:45pm here, and 1:45pm for you. I hope to talk to you then. You can email me any day, any time. But I will only be able to check it and email you once a week on preparation day (Wednesday). I hope to hear from you!

I love you!

Elder Tylor Houghtaling

--
Elder Houghtaling's Email
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Hey Mom, I'm on now for the next 30 minutes.

I am doing good. How are you? I can't send photos because Wifi isn't available at the MTC. You were telling me about Elder Banham having a new companion. Elder Banham's name is Banham not Bantam.

We went to the temple this morning and got back at around 2:30pm so I haven't had time to get the cookies that you sent to me and my district using Mr. Cheney's Cookies. You asked if I was eating enough. I am actually gaining weight; I am around 160lbs now.

Church was 10:30 last Sunday. I'm not sure how to describe Sundays here yet because last Sunday was Fast and Testimony meeting.

There is room for four in the room that I sleep in. It is only me and Elder Hynst in that room. The other part of the district is in the room next to us with room for six.

I get to spend a lot of time with Kyle Burt and Michael Wright. They're in the same district as me. Elder Cazier (District Monkey), Elder Burt, Elder Wright, Elder Siglin (District Leader), Elder Hynst (my companion), and Elder Houghtaling (me). A District Monkey is the District Leader's companion. He gets drug around to every leadership meeting that the DL has to go to.

I have not been able to purchase anything. Chip cards are highly recommended here, #Skimmers. I'm only using cash until I run out. Oh yeah! Can you transfer money back into my Savings from my Checking? For the Just in Case? Like only leave $50 in my checking?

Am I as busy as you think I am? You have no idea.

From me: Te amo mais que tudo (I love you more than anything!)

From Tylor: I love your too! Tamdem! u amor voce! (I love you!)

De Nada! Obrigado! Speak to you Sunday. I love you!




--
Sunday, May 8, 2016
Mother's Day

Mother's Day was wonderful. Kevin and I drove to my parents house in Lansing, Michigan, to talk to Tylor for the Mother's Day phone call so his Grandma and Grandpa Berger could hear Tylor and talk to him, also.

It was a busy day for Missionaries at the MTC calling home to talk to their moms and family. Tylor's phone call came about 10 minutes late, but when his call came it was wonderful to talk with him. He said he was talking using an internet communication that was developed at BYU. He was doing well. He now has two more room mates, both from Brazil. I asked about laundry at the MTC and he asked about the correct way to clean his suite pants and jackets. It was so nice to hear his voice and to talk with him. The time went too fast. It was a wonderful Mother's Day!

The only times Tylor can call to talk to us, except  for things like family emergencies, is on Mother's Day and Christmas. It is a long time until Christmas...



Tylor would love to hear from you: tylor.houghtaling@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment