Sunday, November 26, 2017

Macedônia Ward, Macedônia B - Campo Limpo Stake - October 23, 2017 and October 30, 2017

Brazil, São Paulo West Mission
São Paulo, Brazil

--
Elder Houghtaling's Email
Monday, October 23, 2017


As cosias estão bem.

That is so sad about Miss Eric. She is happily waiting on the other side.

So, on Wednesday, as we arrived at our 6:30 appointment with the family of Gilson, Angela, and Kimberly, we rang the doorbell. Kimberly answered the door and invited us to enter. We entered the living room and instead of seeing Gilson and Angela, we saw two JW (Jehovah's Witness) sisters. A few things ran through my mind, but the first was a panic that stops you in your tracks, and the second was "I hope that we didn’t just walk into a bible bash." But we sat down and they left quickly, so fast that Angela didn't have time to show them out and call Gilson in from the house next door. We shared the message of the Restoration with them. Next Wednesday, we will visit them again and help them out with and questions that they have.

I'm getting strange feeling about the mission, because of some confusion that has arisen. Elder Ramos says the only two things we can do in the lan house is write our families and friends, and the President. We can't listen to music nor watch video in the lan house. So, I studied the missionary handbook to see what the rule is. It says that we should do those two things, but says nothing about videos or music. It's tiring to try your best to be obedient then learn that you’re not. It's because of this telephone game that the mission is doing. When the prophet receives revelation, he doesn't pass it to the apostles, then to the seventy, then to the area seventies. He publishes it for the whole world to see, as well as passing it through this chain. In the mission the president passes the revelation to the assistants, then to the zone leaders, to the district leaders, then to the rest of the mission. So, the message gets pretty confusing when it gets to the mission. Honestly, I want to be free of these over restricting rules. This mission has been really focus on obedience, and not on teaching, so this mission basically hurt itself with productivity. Missionaries also see "work" as producing numbers, and "cobrando" the results weekly. They need to open their eyes and see that helping people and bringing light into people’s lives is what is important. A majority of missionaries are just teaching memorized lessons, and not listening to the needs of the investigators.

I don't know anything about the changes to the mission and when they'll take place. I have a feeling that this mission might close because of little results from the work, and few missionaries have been entering this mission, while other missions have been receiving a lot. The smart phones though, I don't think that'll happen any time soon because, here in Brazil, the missionaries don't have tablets because of a wealth of thieves looking for a quick payday. And, if the missionaries bring their cellphones on the missions, there would be a huge problem with calls home, and games being played. 

This week, I'll be going to the 5th Ward for a multi-zone conference on Wednesday. I'll be picking up my package then.

I think I have everything I need. Just don't send more glow sticks. I have a hard time finding a home for them and explaining what they are.

Can you send the photos of Elder Lisboa with the families that he visited to adeilton.silva@myldsmail.net

I received the card from Grandma. I really loved it. Can you provide me with yours and dad's birthdates?

Sister Thomas would like to hear about some of our family traditions. Can you write me or Sister Thomas back with these traditions? ellen.thomas@ldschurch.org

Elder Silva and Elder Nascimento have asked for magnetic name tags. Can you ask BYU to make those, please?

The best luck I wish to Grandpa, and I'll be praying for him.

I love you!!!!

ELDER RAMOS, my new companion from Vitoria, ES, Brazil








Brazil, São Paulo West Mission
São Paulo, Brazil

--
Elder Houghtaling's Email
Monday, October 30, 2017


This week was great. I picked up the package you sent me on Wednesday at the Multi-zone conference. The "Pattern of Excellence" award that I got was for last transfer for having one baptism and confirmation, two investigators marked for baptism, two in Sacrament Meeting, and seven new investigators in one week. This one I earned last transfer, and it’s still being continued, even though there is another Pattern of Excellence, two baptism and confirmation, three investigators marked for baptism, four in Sacrament Meeting, and 10 new investigators in one week.

I was up until 11:30 last night as the Zone leaders were being annoying while "incentivizing" us to contact at least 10 people per day, to be 100% obedient to rules, and to mark investigators for baptism. I know that I should listen to the mission leaders and obey their advice. But, the vision that I've been given is, "You can't do this, or that."

The President's training this past Wednesday was on a section of "Preach My Gospel - A Successful Missionary." He said to us missionaries that the only two things that aren’t a measure are numbers and callings (Trainer, DL, ZL, Assistant). But, my thought now is that when an area produces a low number, the leaders get all over that low number. This "cobrança" honestly is killing the missionaries. It's making them really tired. #The topic of my next interview.

My companion is from Vitoria, Espirito Santo, the mission where Lianne served. He has a year and three months in the field. I only have one problem with him. He wants me to be obedient to the rule he knows, the one I mentioned last week, that I’m currently breaking listening to The Piano Guys. I know he is being pushed by the zone leaders for this, so I won’t be angry with him. I’ll just mention how I’m feeling when he brings it up the next time. Today, as I started listening to The Piano Guys, he asked me what I was listening to in a way I didn't feel right about.

At the end of this transfer Elder and Sister Thacker will be going home. Their mission is coming to an end.

That is awful to hear about Pauline Jenson. That is truly sad...

I almost didn't recognize the front door of our house, even without the wreath.

Can you see if you can order a screen for my mp4? AGPtek A02S.

I LOVE YOU!!!!

ELDER RAMOS, my new companion from Vitoria, ES, Brazil

ELDER RAMOS, my new companion from Vitoria, ES, Brazil

My planner for this transfer 

A giant moth got into our house

A giant moth got into our house









Tylor would love to hear from you: tylor.houghtaling@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment