Sunday, November 19, 2017

Macedônia Ward, Macedônia B - Campo Limpo Stake - September 25, 2017 and October 2, 2017

Brazil, São Paulo West Mission
São Paulo, Brazil

--
Elder Houghtaling's EmailMonday, September 25, 2017
15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!



Thanks for sharing with me what Sandy shared with you: 

"Doctrine and Covenants 18:15–16

16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!

Each mission call and assignment, or a later reassignment, is the result of revelation through the Lord’s servants. A call to the work comes from God through the President of the Church. An assignment to one of the more than 400 missions presently operating around the world comes from God through a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, acting with the authorization of the Lord’s living prophet. The spiritual gifts of prophecy and revelation attend all mission calls and assignments.

—David A. Bednar, “Called to the Work,” General Conference, April 2017

Heavenly Father is really allowing a lot because He knows your missionary is kind, loving, easy to get along with and he is one of Heavenly Fathers STRONGEST and SPIRITUALLY mature missionary. That was before his mission!! Think how much MORE he is now! He is like the sons in the BOM his mother taught him God Will be with him and protect him. Don't worry, be happy to know ur son is being groomed for great things. Remember challenges help us grow spiritually."

I like Elder Lisboa. He has 22 days until he’s back home in the state of Pernambuco. He’s been counting the days as well. 

I’ve been noticing that we all are getting "trunky" to the point where it’s getting dangerous for me in the Lord’s work. Last week I advised President Thomas about this, and he said, "Yes, please don't let yourself become trunky. Please write your mother and command her to not do that, but to encourage you to sprint to the finish line." Trunky doesn't exactly means homesick. But it means to be anxious to go home, or really wants the time to go by faster. Depends on the severity of the case when the missionary will start to not work, and stay in. I’m not to this extremity yet, nor do I want to be. So, let’s not count the days until my ticket arrives, and don’t let me know of the days until I’m in the last 6 weeks. You can count the time if you want to, but I won’t.

Since I began my mission, I have had 9 areas, 8 companions, in 1 year and 5 months and two days. These areas are: Jd. Caxingui, Helena Maria, Jd. Bonfiglioli, Raposo Tavares (B), Nova Granada (B), Raposo Tavares (A), Jd. das Rosas (B), Macedônia (A), and Macedônia (B). These companions were Elders, P Lima, Srur, Alves, Guimarães, Freire, do Carmo, Dias, and now Lisboa. All but three have gone home. I have passed through seven wards. I have the chance for four more transfers.

Yes, Elder Lisboa is in one of these photos. The other missionaries that you have seen are Elders Paiva, and Rezende from Kennedy (B). Last Tuesday I stayed in the area with Elder Do Carmo on a split, and that was the photo that you saw, with the pizza.

This week was a little bit better, but there was still confusion every day of the week except of Monday, Saturday, and Sunday. Well there was a little on Saturday between us and Macedônia (A) (E. Sigognini and E.Galdino) when they had pick up and spent the money for lunch that day without calling us. You have nothing to do with it. It isn’t a sin to not give meals to the missionaries. But its cruel when somebody signs up, then denies that it is their day. I prefer to at least receive money when there isn’t lunch. I would prefer lunch with the member whether that be in a restaurant or in their home. Yes, some members drop money off “the restaurant” and we show up whenever we want to. But, that is something you’ll have to ask them. For me, if I was a missionary in your ward, I would prefer the Japanese restaurant, because it’s something different.

Here's the story of the week. Saturday night, we went to a stake youth activity in which the youth from each ward performed a skit themed after some famous cartoon films. We weren’t the only missionaries there. About half of the zone was (10 missionaries) were there. The stake president comes up to us and yells at us "Are you all hear to baptize or to stay?!" while motioning us to get out. My companion said that we were here looking for our ward mission leader, so we could talk with him. Before this, he had yelled at another companionship who had brought an investigator to the activity. After a while of searching, we couldn’t find him so we left with two other companionships.

Earlier today was supposed to be the baptism of Vitor from Macedônia (A). Elder Dias and I had taught him. Well his baptism was canceled to make room and give special priority to the son of the stake president. Oh, what a great party there was after the baptism. There was cake, a juice machine, and little blue bags for the primary children with the name of his child, 8 years, and the CTR logo printed on them. My question is, “Who is going to put on a big show like that for a convert's baptism?” As far as I know, here in this stake, no one. What are your thoughts?

What you could try to do to get a real Brazilian pizza is go online and look up a recipe, and try making one at home. When I get back, maybe I can try give you a few hints.

That’s too bad about Molly. Best wishes for her and I’ll pray that this ordeal ends soon.

Here is a hint about when your sharing the gospel. It's not a good idea to share about profound doctrine. Temples and eternal families is great to share, and this is "safe" doctrine. It might me a good idea to search in Preach My Gospel, primarily in chapters three and four is where the stuff is that we teach investigators.

If you will be applying me into collage, please look at prices. I believe that going to KVCC then WMU will save a few thousand dollars. WMU only keeps applicants on record for two years, so I’ll have to re-apply, because it’s been more than two years.

For my next package, please send more body wash from Old Spice. Also, I saw in an email that I have a package waiting. I wonder who sent me that package...

I LOVE YOU SOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Elder Tylor Glen Houghtaling



























Brazil, São Paulo West Mission
São Paulo, Brazil

--
Elder Houghtaling's Email
Monday, October 2, 2017


A wonderful week!

I'm writing a little bit later today because we went to Parque Vila Lobos today for P-day. This was one of the best P-Days that I've had. We rented bicycles for an hour. The elders from our group were Elder Paiva, Lisboa, Rezende, Fernandes, Nascimento, Sigognini, Galdino, and me. We met another group of missionaries from the mission who went there. Unfortunately, an accident happened with the other group of missionaries in which after falling and hitting his head, Elder A. dos Santos went to the hospital. We had to retrieve their bikes and take them back to the main entrance in pouring rain just before noon today. After Vila Lobos, we went to the shopping mall next door to buy lunch. We ate at Burger King. After lunch, we went to check-out the newly discovered Decathlon. I was with Elder Rezende at this time. I bought a new watch, similar to the one I bought when I was with Elder Srur in Alphaville, but it was lost when I was transferred from Raposo to Nova Granada. We used a combination of Bus, Subway, and Train to get there. The trip there was R$3.80, and was the same to return. We were smart and took the bus that integrates with the subway station Capão Redondo, and the train to Osasco in Santo Amaro. All this integration was made without any transport cards, which is great. We were near Saõ Paulo Interlagos for most of time.

This week, every day we had lunches. Thank you to our ward.

I didn't send photos yet, because I had forgotten to yesterday. Be expecting them tomorrow.

Vitor, the fourteen-year old boy who Elder Dias and I taught, was baptized on Saturday by Elders Sigognini and Galdino. I was happy to see this.

Conference was great. Us and a few other Elders didn’t watch the Priesthood session when it was re-transmitted 8am Sunday. We didn't go because we would have to run from our area to the Stake Center (the only chapel transmitting in the Stake) then back to the area for lunch at 11:30, then return for the session at 1 pm. I encourage you to watch them.

Yeah that sounds rough with your home teaching route. Yes, advise them of your time. But, I would like you to remember the law of consecration. I’m still struggling with this, even as a missionary. And remember that you were called to do this. (1 Nephi 3:7). Don’t expect perfection, just be better every day.

I had a weird dream that I feel that I shouldn't share with you. I was home with 1 year and 7 months. But I was feeling that I had to return to the mission. And then I woke up.

The mission is now waking up at 6:30am and arriving home at 9:00pm to 9:30pm now.

I Love you guys!!!!!!!!

Elder Tylor Glen Houghtaling


10-03-2017 Elder Rezende and I rode bikes at the Parque de Lobos for P-Day.

10-03-2017 Elder Rezende and I rode bikes at the Parque de Lobos for P-Day.

10-03-2017 Elder Rezende and I rode bikes at the Parque de Lobos for P-Day.

10-03-2017 Elder Rezende and I rode bikes at the Parque de Lobos for P-Day.






São Paulo Transit System Map












10-03-2017 My hair after riding bikes at the Parque de Lobos for P-Day.

10-03-2017 My hair after riding bikes at the Parque de Lobos for P-Day.

10-03-2017 My new watch I bought at Decathlon.

10-03-2017 My new watch I bought at Decathlon.

10-03-2017 My new watch I bought at Decathlon yesterday.




Tylor would love to hear from you: tylor.houghtaling@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment